In the light of the moon


10/31/2015 Halloween was yesterday and we didn’t go to the big party. Bill is NOT into dressing up to begin with and I already committed to picking up our friends at the airport, even if I didn’t have plans I doubt he would go. It’s OK, I can miss a party, although from the photos I’ve seen, we missed a good one!

My pumpkin

I wasn’t scheduled to work at the airport but figured since I was going to be there, I might as well help out. I worked until my friends got through immigration and then left so I could take them to the store and then home.

Earlier in the week I went to the Daughters of the Island Moon gathering at Calabash Bight Resort on Tuesday night. Alex and Marilyn picked me up, we went to their house by boat, then Alex “boated” us across the bight to the event. There were 10 women there. We had a lot of yummy food {chicken salad, pasta salads, crackers and cheese, chips, bacon wrapped dates, tapenade and hot cheesy bacon dip} and of course, a few drinks. One of the ladies is a Reiki practitioner and she did Reiki while another of the ladies led the spiritual cleansing.

The woman with the ranger badge built the fire. She did a fine job.
Shadows danced around the fire
Well, we weren’t really dancing, just walking around.
The view while floating
Looking W towards Calabash Bight Cay

After the cleansing we floated in the ocean under the light of the full moon with a nice small fire going on the beach. It was a nice quiet evening with a fun bunch of ladies. Marilyn and I and a couple of others spent the night in the bungalows there. When I woke up and walked outside this was my view.

Right outside the cabana door
Step through the gate and onto the beach.
If you look very very closely you can see the mainland.

The ones that spent the night sat around and talked in the morning for a little while, then Martina dropped Marilyn and I off at Marilyn’s dock and Marilyn and Alex brought me home.

Cutting through the mangroves
Almost back to BJ’s

They hung out here for awhile, Marilyn and Bill were chatting about some furniture, Alex and I were surfing the internet. We had brunch before they had to leave. Always enjoy spending time with them!

I was sweeping the other day and swept another lizard tail out from under MY side of the bed. That grossed me out. Earlier when I was cleaning off the bathroom counter I found a live lizard behind a wicker drawer set, then I found another green Anole on the window. Lizards everywhere. I hopped in the shower when I was done cleaning and immediately got freaked out because I thought there was a lizard head laying eyes down on the shower floor. I didn’t want to check to see what it was so I avoided it like the Bubonic plague during my shower. Just about the time I was finished showering I realized it was  the dead green bug that had been laying on the counter previously. The wind must have blown it in the shower. Phew..

On Thursday I went to Cattleya to help Cynthia with a small art project. We were helping the students make animal masks out of paper plates. I worked with a young boy I’ve not met before named Kenny. He was quite a perfectionist. We made a mask of a monkey face but he wouldn’t let me take his photo with it on.

Students and helpers
Kenny cutting his out.
Stephanie’s elephant
Terryn in his panda mask
Kenny hanging his mask
Part of the students
Another shot with Kenny in it

The school is quite small right now but after the first of the year they will be relocating to a larger place. I’m looking forward to helping however we can with the move.

On Thursday we had Betty and Joe, our friends from Punta Blanca coming for pizza. They got here around 3 and we ate at 4 or so, then had after dinner drinks and dessert on the roof. They, like many other people do not like to drive at night here. The roads suck, there are no lights, the edges of the roads are ragged and the whole island is pot hole ridden. Sounds like PARADISE doesn’t it. Anyhow, they wanted to get home before dark and I think they made it.

I kept the dogs busy while we ate with Kongs filled with peanut butter and frozen yogurt.

On Friday I went to Nadia to make my roots go away and then came home, changed and got ready to go to BJ’s for the afternoon. When I got home from the other end of the island and checked my email there was one from Milesse asking me if I could meet at the airport at 1 for a meeting with the tourism board of Honduras and the Bay Islands Tourism board. It was 12:30 when I got home and had driven past the airport, which is 20 minutes away, on my way home. We were meeting friends at BJ’s in Oak Ridge so I said that I wasn’t able to go. Sure wish I had know about it earlier, I would have loved to have been there and given my 2 cents. Not that anyone wanted to hear it, but I still would have given it.

We had a great time as usual at BJ’s chatting with everyone. Dennis (he and Marcia have one of our pups) brought Duke so Kathy could look at him. He’s having an allergic reaction on his paws and around his nose. Kathy gave him some medicine so hopefully he will get better. So great that you can take your dog to the bar and have someone meet you there and check him out. Island life. The update on Sable is she is home, her eyes look great and her brother was very happy to see her. They have never been separated since birth so I’m sure it was hard on both of them. Lisa said her vision is pretty good and getting better every day. Such great news, she is a sweet girl!

Today was a do nothing day. I got some laundry done, laid on the roof in the sun and removed ticks from dogs. In the past 3 days we have had a tick infestation. Previously our dogs never had ticks, Friday they had a lot, all except Lola and Highway. I used Frontline Plus on the pups on October 20th, I gave Lola Nexgard and Highway wears a Preventic collar (he’s allergic to all the neck drops, he has seizures from them). Lola and Highway only had a few ticks but the pups were infested. I’m writing a letter to Frontline and complaining and I’m sending them pics of some of the ticks we got off the pups today, day # 3. Unfortunately I didn’t think to take pics Friday and Saturday and there were A LOT. If I were in the states I would mail them a good old fashioned snail mail letter and INCLUDE all the ticks. You know, like people stick that confetti shit in letters, I would put ticks.

I’ve watched a few things on Netflix lately that I really enjoyed; A Sloth Named Velcro, The Story of JK Rowling (never read Harry Potter but now I want to) and a story about Iris Apfel. She is a very eccentric older woman who has style out the ears and then some. All great shows. I also watched the Story of Big Bird starring Carroll Spinney on Amazon Prime. And of course, I am watching The Voice, but I have to watch it the day after it shows in the states..No biggie. It’s been 12 years since we have had TV Cable and you know what, I don’t miss it. Our friends that came for dinner don’t even have a TV. We do and Bill uses it for Netflix, I watch my stuff on my laptop.

Next week is a busy week. I’m starting it off tomorrow with a beach day at West Bay with my friend Lauren. (Bill made her cats the scratch post). I seriously need some sun, I look like a damn tourist. Tuesday morning we have plans, Tuesday afternoon cocktail party, Wednesday neutering the last 2 boys, Thursday going to Brass Hill for sewing machine update with Nidia and Friday to Helene with Nidia, then BJ’s, again with Nidia. Back to the airport Saturday and yay, my friend Jeanie returns that day. I can’t freaking wait. Next Monday will begin my trips to Camp Bay for Mondays Don’t Suck.

I’m off to rinse the sweat from my body and shave my left knee, which I totally and completely missed the last time. How the hell did I miss the whole knee?


By Ledfutt

Living on an island was a life long dream of mine. In 2012 I moved to Roatan and lived there for 4 months, went back to the US, packed up our belongings and sold our house. In Oct of 2013 we moved there permanently. Our house was completed in July of 2014 and we moved in. After 6+ years, I was ready to go back to the US. I made the move in Dec of 2019 and my husband came a year later. Here we are in Arizona, waiting for our island house to sell so we can sell this place and move on. I guess I'm more like a traveling mermaid.


  1. You, are too funny, Deb! Those cabanas on the beach and the lovely view must have been heavenly. I would have a ball working with the children, too.

    I think there are some natural remedies for ticks and fleas. I’ll search and see if I can find it for you.

  2. Going through old email and found this from over 6 months ago! Bad habit of “I’ll read it later”.
    Great piece of work as you always do! Keep them coming! 🙂

    1. Maybe I’m getting old! After posting my comment I saw that this was from 2015! Might have read it before but certainly enjoyed reading it again! 😉

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Eclectic Twist

Design And Live Outside the Lines

%d bloggers like this: